Boombridge
Genealogy

Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames
Search
First Name:


Last Name:



Daniel MCCASHION

Daniel MCCASHION

Male - 1905

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name Daniel MCCASHION 
    Born Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Male 
    Birth 10 Apr 1837  [2, 3
    Baptism 28 May 1837  St Dunstan's Roman Catholic, Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    • B. 94 [1837]

      Same time [May 28th] I have baptized Daniel, born the tenth day of April, last of the lawful marriage of Neil McCassian and wife. The sponsors being Peter Godin and Theotiste Bourguion.
      W. Dollard
    Birth [1836]  [4
    Birth [1840]  NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Birth [1845]  NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Birth [1847]  NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Living 1 Jul 1858  [8
    • Present as witness at the baptism of Sarah Ann Feeney, daughter of James Feeney and Mary Ann McDevitt.
    Living 15 Mar 1859  [8
    • Present as witness at the baptism of Mary Ann McCashion, daughter of Thomas McCashion and Bridget McEvoy.
    Living 19 Jun 1859  [8
    • Present as witness at witness of John McGrath, son of Henry McGRATH and Ellen McCASHION
    Occupation 1861  [6
    Carpenter 
    Religion 1861  [5
    Roman Catholic 
    Residence 1861  Carleton, Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Living 16 Apr 1865  [8
    • Present as witness at the baptism of Sarah McGuire, daughter of Michael McGuire and Martha McCashion.
    Residence 1867  Brunswick Street, Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [9
    • McCashin, Daniel Brunswick Fredericton York carpenter 1867-1868
    Living 29 Jun 1867  [8
    • baptized Frances Feeney daughter of John and Ann McCashion
    Occupation 1871  [6
    Carpenter 
    Religion 1871  [6
    Roman Catholic 
    Residence 1871  Regent Street, Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [10
    • McCashion, Daniel Regent Fredericton - York Carpenter
    Residence 1871  Queens, Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    • In the household of Charles Brannen
    Living 4 Jul 1875  [8
    • Baptized Thomas Feeney
    Occupation 27 Oct 1880  [3
    Carpenter 
    Residence 27 Oct 1880  Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Occupation 1881  [7
    Carpenter 
    Religion 1881  [7
    Roman Catholic 
    Residence 1881  Queens, Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    • In Thomas Harknett's hotel
    Aged 25 Jan 1905  69 years Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Informant Dr Crockett Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation 25 Jan 1905  [1
    Carpenter 
    Residence 25 Jan 1905  Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Died 25 Jan 1905  Victoria Hospital, Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Cause: Pneumonia (10 days) 
    • RS141C4
      Provincial Returns of Deaths
      Name MCCASHION, DANIEL
      Sex M
      Age 69
      Date 1905 | 01 | 25 (Y-M-D)
      County YORK
      Registration 2709
      Volume
      Reference C4/1905
      Microfilm F18715
    Person ID I3386  4 February 2018
    Last Modified 2 Mar 2011 

    Father Neil MCCASHION,   b. Derry, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. [1865] 
    Mother Mary Ann MCKIERNAN,   b. Castledawson, Shanemullagh, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Apr 1879, [Fredericton, York, NB] Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 1 Aug 1823  Castledawson, Shanemullagh, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    • "at or near"
      By Rev John Hayes

      The Roman Catholic chapel in the parish of Magherafelt was located on the road to Castledawson in the townland of Tamnadace [Tamnadeese]. [It appears to actually be in Aghagaskin.] There was not a resident priest in the parish until about 1822 when John Quinn arrived. This is probably the "Rev John Hayes" that Mary Ann McCarron McCashion remembers being the pastor who married her and Neil McCashion.
    • http://www.discovereverafter.com/graveyards/22/the-church-of-st-john-milltown-magherafelt-co-derry
      The Church of St. John Milltown Magherafelt, Co. Derry
      The site at Milltown is clearly being used for a chapel from 1792 onwards. The Ordnance Survey Memoir of 1834 records "A Roman Catholic Chapel is situated in the townland of Tamnadace on the road from Magherafelt to Castledawson and about a mile from the former town. It was erected in the year 1792 and was enlarged and newly roofed in 1831.

      John Hayes not found here:
      http://www.failteromhat.com/pigotu.htm
      Pigot's Directory of Ulster 1824: Nil [Randalstown, Magherafelt, Castledawson]

      http://www.magherafeltparish.org/parish-history
      A Short History of the Parish of Magherafelt
      Dr Diarmaid ? Doibhlin
      Parish Priests
      Fr John Quinn 1822-1862

      http://www.stmacnissirandalstown.com/about/parish-history
      [Randalstown] Parish History
      In 1824 the church was extended by Father Bernard McCann, a native of Ballynaleney, at a cost of L800 "raised by subscription".
    • History of Magherafelt, Ireland
      by Maitland, W. H
      Published 1916

      p 20
      Magherafelt in 1824
      The church is a neat stone edifice with a lofty spire, of which the Rev Thomas A Vesey is the present rector.
      ...
      Rev Thomas Paul rector of Ballinderry
      Rev Thomas A Vesey rector Glebe House
      Rev James Wilson Fairview

      Shopkeepers, Traders, Etc
      ...
      Thomas M'Lernon grocer Castledawson

      p 39
      Rectors
      1807 Thomas Agmondishan Vesey BA TCD January 31
      Curates
      1708 Alexander Lawson
      1829 Thomas Twigg

      p 45
      The First Presbyterian Church
      Rev James Wilson was nor appointed to the oversight of the Congregation till 24th September 1813.

      p 50
      The Methodist Church
      It appears that when the Rev Mr Matthew Langtree was appointed to Coleraine in 1795, the circuit included a considerable portion of the Counties of Derry and Antrim, encircling the Antrim shores from Portrush to Glenarm, and stretching from thence to Ballymena, Portglenone, Bellaghy, Magherafelt and Limavady. In the same years the Rev Adam Averell visited Magherafelt, but he found little enjoyment, the truth having long been preached with but little apparent affect.
      In 1823, Magherafelt and several other centres in South Derry were joined to Ballymena and Maghera Mission, which embraced a considerable portion of the Counties of Antrim and Derry.

      p 53
      The site occupied by the first Roman Catholic Place of Worship in or around Magherafelt is not now locally known. It would seem that some time prior to 1831 there was a Chapel in existence situated on the road leading to Castledawson, about the position at present occupied by the lower gate on the property of the late Mr R M'Guckin, solicitor. When it was erected, there is no definite information, but it is said that it at least dated from the year 1700. Prior to that period, in order to carry out the principles of their religion, the Roman Catholics met at various places, and their religious rites were generally performed at what is commonly known as "Mass or Altar Stones." According to the information of Mr Thomas Fagan, who visited the district in 1836, on behalf of the Government, a stone resembling a cross was found in the holding of John Redfern, Mullaghboy, about the year 1805, at a large hawthorn bush where, it was said, Roman Catholic Worship had been performed.
      ...
      According to a Parlimentary return made in 1766, there were in the Parish 635 families, of which 203 were Roman Catholics. There was then no Roman Catholic Priest resident in the Parish, the Priests from Ballinderry and The Loop alternately doing duty. So far as can be ascertained, the Rev John Quinn was the first resident Priest, and his assistant lodged in the house at present occupied by Mr William Davison, Killyneece. Father Quinn came to the parish about the year 1822, and died in 1862, having ministered for at least forty years.
      He lodged in Protestant houses in Magherafelt, the principal Catholics not being in a position to offer him suitable apartments.
    • Ballinderry

      An historical review of the state of Ireland from the invasion of that ...
      By Francis Plowden
      p 102
      Ballinderry 29 December 1797 pastor Patrick Devlin

      http://www.aghagallonandballinderryparish.btck.co.uk/ParishHistory
      Parish History
      The Churches of the Parish
      St. Mary?s Ballinderry
      The Ordnance Survey memoirs state that the Rev. James Denvir was the pastor of the Ballinderry congregation.
      ...
      The Rev. James O?Laverty?s history of Down and Connor states however that the church built in 1814 was replaced in 1845 by Fr. Sam Young.
    • http://www.magherafeltparish.org/mass-times
      Church of SS John & Trea at Moneymore
      Church of St. Patrick, The Loop
      All part of the parish of Magherafelt
    • Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland: Parishes of County Antrim VI 1830, 1833, 1835-38 South West Antrim
      Volume 19
      Edited by Angelique Day and Patrick McWilliams
      The Queen's Universe of Belfast
      p 69
      Roman Catholic Clergy
      The earliest [Drummaul] parish [priest] remembered was the Reverend McGregor, who was succeeded by the Reverend Neeson, the Reverend Peter Boyle, the Reverend Bernard McAuley (who succeeded Mr Boyle in 1829) and the Reverend Daniel Curoe, the present priestm who was appointed to this parish in 1825.
    Family ID F204  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Baptism: Daniel McCashion son of Neil McCassian and wife
      Baptism Sarah Ann Feeney: Daniel McCassian
      Washington Co, Me. Cemeteries: Nil
      Census 1851: Nil
      Directry 1867/8: Daniel McCashin
      Census 1871: Danl McCassion
      Census 1881: McCashon
      Census 1891: Nil
      Census 1901: Nil
    • Witness to: John McGRATH #4724 Baptized 19 Jun 1859 St Dunstan's, Fredericton, York, NB
    • Witness to: Mary Ann McCASHION #2136 Baptized 15 Mar 1859 St Dunstan's, Fredericton, York, NB
    • Witness to: Thomas Gregory FEENEY #524 Baptized 4 Jul 1875 St Dunstan's Roman Catholic, Fredericton, York, NB
    • Witness to: Sarah Ann FEENEY #832 Baptized 31 Jul 1858 St Dunstan's Roman Catholic, Fredericton, York, NB
    • Witness to: Sarah E MAGUIRE #4741 Baptized 16 Apr 1865 St Dunstan's Roman Catholic, Fredericton, York, NB
    • Witness to: Frances M FEENEY #798 Baptized 29 Jun 1867 St Dunstan's Roman Catholic, Fredericton, York, NB
    • Daniel McCashan Fire Brigade

      http://www.frederictonfirefighters.ca/museum/groups.htm

      The Silsby Engine Company, also known as the Irish Brigade. Taken in 1879, these men operated the steamer called "The City of Fredericton"

      Also note Michael McGrath. Is he Daniel's nephew?

      http://www.frederictonfirefighters.ca/museum/competition.htm

      Engine Company Competition

      The Fire Department owned two steam fire engines which did very good work for years. With these two engines came tremendous competition between the two engine companies. One crew was called, "The Irish Brigade." It consisted of men by the names of, "Hugh O'Neil, Pat O'Brien, James Hanlon, Edward Higgins, Mike Farrell, Frank McPeak, Dan McCashen, and Daniel Hennessy. (Hennessy later became a multi-millionaire in Missoula Montana and is buried in Butte MT). Their steamer was the 1874 Silsby steamer called 'The City of Fredericton'.

      The other company was named, "The Hawthorn Company" and consisted of men by the names of, John Hawthorn, Fred Todd, Jim Smith, Hersey, and others. They manned the 1867 Amoskeag steam engine called 'Alexandra'. Hawthorne and Todd owned two famous fire hounds which would rush to the station at every call of the fire bell and seemed to enjoy the company rivalry. On one occasion in a contest of efficiency, as the story goes, the Hawthorne hound seized the tow rope of the rival engine and forced the crew to give up their holds so that the Hawthorne-Todd crew took first honours.

      In another competition between the two steamers, was a contest to see which one could get water up the steeple of the methodist church. The Amoskeag won, but nearly blew up in the process. Water was pumped from a cistern or well near the Barker House Alley.

  • Sources 
    1. [S3145] Death Record of Daniel McCashion, Bureau of Health Fredericton, (d 25 January 1905).

    2. [S127] St Dunstan's Parish Records, 1827-1842, St Dunstan's, Fredericton, York, NB.

    3. [S3138] Full Pension File-Civil War of Patrick McCashion, US National Archies and Records Administration.

    4. [S13] Vital Records Database: PANB, Provincial Archives of New Brunswick, (http://archives.gnb.ca/APPS/GovRecs/VISSE/?L=EN).

    5. [S4] Census of Canada, 1861, Ancestry.com.

    6. [S16] Census of Canada, 1871, Ancestry.com.

    7. [S8] Census of Canada, 1881, Ancestry.com.

    8. [S128] St Dunstan's Parish Records, 1842-, St Dunstan's, Fredericton, York, NB.

    9. [S167] Hutchinson's Directory, Hutchinson's Directory, (http://archives.gnb.ca/APPS/PrivRecs/HD/?L=EN).

    10. [S166] Lovell's Directory 1871, Lovell's Directory 1871, (1871).