Home Page  |  What's New  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Headstones  |  Reports  |  Surnames
First Name:

Last Name:



Female 1835 - Bef 1861 CENSUS?

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name Sarah MCCASHION 
    Born 10 Mar 1835  [1
    Gender Female 
    Birth [1835]  NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Residence 1851  Fredericton, York, NB Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Death Bef 20 August 1864  [1
    Died Bef 1861 CENSUS? 
    Person ID I2842  4 February 2018
    Last Modified 27 Sep 2009 

    Father Neil MCCASHION,   b. Derry, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. [1865] 
    Mother Mary Ann MCKIERNAN,   b. Castledawson, Shanemullagh, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Apr 1879, [Fredericton, York, NB] Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married 1 Aug 1823  Castledawson, Shanemullagh, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    • "at or near"
      By Rev John Hayes

      The Roman Catholic chapel in the parish of Magherafelt was located on the road to Castledawson in the townland of Tamnadace [Tamnadeese]. [It appears to actually be in Aghagaskin.] There was not a resident priest in the parish until about 1822 when John Quinn arrived. This is probably the "Rev John Hayes" that Mary Ann McCarron McCashion remembers being the pastor who married her and Neil McCashion.
      The Church of St. John Milltown Magherafelt, Co. Derry
      The site at Milltown is clearly being used for a chapel from 1792 onwards. The Ordnance Survey Memoir of 1834 records "A Roman Catholic Chapel is situated in the townland of Tamnadace on the road from Magherafelt to Castledawson and about a mile from the former town. It was erected in the year 1792 and was enlarged and newly roofed in 1831.

      John Hayes not found here:
      Pigot's Directory of Ulster 1824: Nil [Randalstown, Magherafelt, Castledawson]
      A Short History of the Parish of Magherafelt
      Dr Diarmaid ? Doibhlin
      Parish Priests
      Fr John Quinn 1822-1862
      [Randalstown] Parish History
      In 1824 the church was extended by Father Bernard McCann, a native of Ballynaleney, at a cost of L800 "raised by subscription".
    • History of Magherafelt, Ireland
      by Maitland, W. H
      Published 1916

      p 20
      Magherafelt in 1824
      The church is a neat stone edifice with a lofty spire, of which the Rev Thomas A Vesey is the present rector.
      Rev Thomas Paul rector of Ballinderry
      Rev Thomas A Vesey rector Glebe House
      Rev James Wilson Fairview

      Shopkeepers, Traders, Etc
      Thomas M'Lernon grocer Castledawson

      p 39
      1807 Thomas Agmondishan Vesey BA TCD January 31
      1708 Alexander Lawson
      1829 Thomas Twigg

      p 45
      The First Presbyterian Church
      Rev James Wilson was nor appointed to the oversight of the Congregation till 24th September 1813.

      p 50
      The Methodist Church
      It appears that when the Rev Mr Matthew Langtree was appointed to Coleraine in 1795, the circuit included a considerable portion of the Counties of Derry and Antrim, encircling the Antrim shores from Portrush to Glenarm, and stretching from thence to Ballymena, Portglenone, Bellaghy, Magherafelt and Limavady. In the same years the Rev Adam Averell visited Magherafelt, but he found little enjoyment, the truth having long been preached with but little apparent affect.
      In 1823, Magherafelt and several other centres in South Derry were joined to Ballymena and Maghera Mission, which embraced a considerable portion of the Counties of Antrim and Derry.

      p 53
      The site occupied by the first Roman Catholic Place of Worship in or around Magherafelt is not now locally known. It would seem that some time prior to 1831 there was a Chapel in existence situated on the road leading to Castledawson, about the position at present occupied by the lower gate on the property of the late Mr R M'Guckin, solicitor. When it was erected, there is no definite information, but it is said that it at least dated from the year 1700. Prior to that period, in order to carry out the principles of their religion, the Roman Catholics met at various places, and their religious rites were generally performed at what is commonly known as "Mass or Altar Stones." According to the information of Mr Thomas Fagan, who visited the district in 1836, on behalf of the Government, a stone resembling a cross was found in the holding of John Redfern, Mullaghboy, about the year 1805, at a large hawthorn bush where, it was said, Roman Catholic Worship had been performed.
      According to a Parlimentary return made in 1766, there were in the Parish 635 families, of which 203 were Roman Catholics. There was then no Roman Catholic Priest resident in the Parish, the Priests from Ballinderry and The Loop alternately doing duty. So far as can be ascertained, the Rev John Quinn was the first resident Priest, and his assistant lodged in the house at present occupied by Mr William Davison, Killyneece. Father Quinn came to the parish about the year 1822, and died in 1862, having ministered for at least forty years.
      He lodged in Protestant houses in Magherafelt, the principal Catholics not being in a position to offer him suitable apartments.
    • Ballinderry

      An historical review of the state of Ireland from the invasion of that ...
      By Francis Plowden
      p 102
      Ballinderry 29 December 1797 pastor Patrick Devlin
      Parish History
      The Churches of the Parish
      St. Mary?s Ballinderry
      The Ordnance Survey memoirs state that the Rev. James Denvir was the pastor of the Ballinderry congregation.
      The Rev. James O?Laverty?s history of Down and Connor states however that the church built in 1814 was replaced in 1845 by Fr. Sam Young.
      Church of SS John & Trea at Moneymore
      Church of St. Patrick, The Loop
      All part of the parish of Magherafelt
    • Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland: Parishes of County Antrim VI 1830, 1833, 1835-38 South West Antrim
      Volume 19
      Edited by Angelique Day and Patrick McWilliams
      The Queen's Universe of Belfast
      p 69
      Roman Catholic Clergy
      The earliest [Drummaul] parish [priest] remembered was the Reverend McGregor, who was succeeded by the Reverend Neeson, the Reverend Peter Boyle, the Reverend Bernard McAuley (who succeeded Mr Boyle in 1829) and the Reverend Daniel Curoe, the present priestm who was appointed to this parish in 1825.
    Family ID F204  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Census 1851: Sally
      Census 1860: Nil
      York Marriages: Nil
      Carleton Marriages: Nil
      PANB Vitals: Nil
      NB Cemeteries: Nil
      NB Newspapers: Nil
      Pension file brother/mother: Sarah
      St Dunstan's: Nil

  • Sources 
    1. [S3138] Full Pension File-Civil War of Patrick McCashion, US National Archies and Records Administration.

    2. [S5] Census of New Brunswick 1851, Library and Archives of Canada, (